This is such an easy and quick project! I got this “recipe” from the jeweler who set my engagement ring.
DIY Jewelry Cleaner “Recipe”
- 3 parts non sudsy ammonia
- 1 part water
- 1 drop of any brand dish soap
- Put jewelry in the jar and shake for about 30 seconds
- Remove with a baby toothbrush and scrub (optional) – this step is good for diamond rings or any jewelry with small nooks. The baby toothbrushes have softer bristles which is better for delicate jewelry
- Rinse with cold water and let air dry
NOTE: this is only for hard stones, gold and silver. I can’t speak to any other type of jewelry, I’ve never put in costume jewelry or soft stones like pearls or opals.
That’s it! I made my own by taking an old preserves jar and removing the label:
To remove the label I washed with cold water and the abrasive side of a sponge. Then to get the glue off I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it came off pretty easily. I’ve also used Goo Gone to remove labels and that works really well too (I just didn’t have any).
I was thinking about painting it but I realized the jar was very cute on its own. I had made one for a friend that I painted the lid and put scrapbook stickers on it with her name.
I would show before and after pictures of jewelry that I cleaned with it, but my camera isn’t fancy enough to pick up those kinds of details.
I hope everyone is staying safe inside from Hurricane Sandy. If you are bored and without power this is a perfect project to occupy some time!